DONATE

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

ADATA XPG V2 1600 & 2400MHz Memory Review

  •  When it comes to memory for your computer there are a few things that are very inflexible, the number one being stability and the other being performance value. After that the memory we buy is usually based on color and the company we are most familiar with, or if on a budget the price.
ADATA recently released a new set of memory called the XPG V2Gaming memory that comes in a variety of colors and in speeds to suite a wide variety of needs. Some people like the ideas of just plug the memory in and go and that is a great ideas in theory, but in application making a quick and easy setting change in the BIOS can make a world of difference in how the memory performs.

 The new XPG series supports XMP profiles for Intel based systems and for AMD based system you simply change the memory clock speed in the BIOS to the appropriate value. I received 2-8GB V2 kits from ADATA one Gun Metal Grey and one Gold. The gold was clocked at DDR-3 1600MHz and the Gun Metal Grey was set at 2400MHZ, but can be pushed all the way up to 2800MHz with a few simple BIOS changes.I used a Intel based PC to run my tests and therefore used the XMP profiles to set the different speeds of the XPG memory. If you have never done this before simply click the Del or F1 key depending on your BIOS and find the memory settings usually found in the overclocking or memory section of your BIOS depending on the BIOS. On the ASUS board I used I simply clicked the XMP value in the overclocking section and my memory speed was set.

  • Pricing & Availability
  • Both sets of memory when set to their XMP values showed the correct memory settings in the BIOS and Windows environment. For my testing I just did a bunch of gaming and recording of the games as well as running Prime95 torture test and the memory never gave me any failures at its base XMP settings. I did not do any additional overclocking in this review as I was not doing an overclocking, but more of a stability and standard performance review.In my eyes, if the system runs fine and shows the appropriate speeds when running in Windows, then its all good as I am not much of an overclocker on my memory.  I am sure the memory can be pushed much farther than spec, but that will be in a different article on my test bed and I used this memory in my gaming rig that I like to be 100% stable.

  • With all the various colors that are available and with the speeds one can choose from the options are really excellent on ADATA’s latest XPG Gaming Memory series. I encountered no issues with the memory for the week that I tested it, but that really comes as no surprise as DDR-3 is really a very mature product at this time point and with DDR-4 right around the corner DDR-3 speeds are being pushed to there maximum performance values.
The X2 series memory was made in conformation to JDEC regulations and a DDR3-1333 standard with a CL value of 9-9-9-24, but some modules have maximum speed of 2800MHz and a CL value of 12-14-14-36.  The new XPG series memory is also made of very high quality components and 20z of copper in the inner layer of the memory that helps keep the memory running cool, even at high clock values.  The speed is there if you need it in your overclocking adventures and you can get kits with various amounts of GBs depending on your needs. If you would like to see all the specs check out the ADATA website.  Thanks for reading Tech of Tomorrow where your opinion always counts in large amounts, peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Free